Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me & Ten on Tuesday

Sorry this is being posted a day late. Yesterday was my birthday after all.

Today's Ten on Tuesday topic is very appropriate for the day. If you've been reading for a while you know that since my birthday is a week after New Years, I consider this date the start of my new year.

10 Goals for 2013
  1. Knit more socks. I've deemed 2013 the year of the sock in my world. My boot socks are disintegrating.  I have one pair left without holes. Even my collection of store bought knee socks is starting  to shuffle off it's mortal coil. I need socks. And I want hand knit ones. 
  2. Medical maintenance. This is what I am calling getting my treatment in order. Starting up my mail order account for my medications. Getting my files in order and having a system for keeping track of meds and doctor's appointments. I want to get this to store my medicines in my bedroom. I should order my medical alert pendent. And working my therapy exercises into my daily routine.
  3. Cook more and with more abandon. I love to cook and once again we've fallen into a rut with meals in our house. I don't know why but it seems we can never think of things to have for dinner. I know we used to have a wide variety of meals and now it seems we have the same 4 or 5 meals. It's time to experiment again. Time to dig out the recipe books and just start making stuff.
  4. More homemade food. This ties in with the above goal. I want to start making my own pasta again. We did make some breakfast sausage this year and it didn't turn out so bad. My father is really blazing the trail with this and inspiring me. I used to make soup all the time. I did make some blueberry jelly this summer and that made me realize I want to start home canning again. With the price of food and all the crap they put in things these days, I feel this is the direction I want to move out household in. Plus it's a great thing to teach the kids. 
  5. More sewing. Setting up the sewing machine in my bedroom has really made this possible. I don't have to waste time setting up and tearing down and can grab some stolen moments here and there. I thoroughly enjoyed sewing their Halloween costumes and I've been working on the quilt for my FIL. I've got a quilt in the planning phase for Little Dude. 
  6. Find new shoes. This sounds stupid but it's actually rather important. My go to shoes for years have been the Dansko Professional clogs. I love these shoes. But with the MS, they are a bit of a liability. There is a tendency for my ankles to roll while walking in them. It apparently is a common issue. What it means that I'll be walking along just fine and then suddenly flail around trying to keep myself from falling. With the MS, not falling becomes more difficult. The other issue with them is that though they wonderful insole support they are very heavy shoes. Which, again because of the MS, fatigues me much quicker. So I need to find a replacement everyday shoe, and I've not had any luck so far. I need something comfortable, that isn't going to trip me, works in most weather situations (the problem with Converse) and won't break the budget. If they make me a few inches taller that doesn't hurt either, another reason I love the Dansko clogs.
  7. Less TV, more playing. I'm really trying to limit the TV watching in the house and doing more activities with the kids. Both kids are artistically inclined but Little Miss is still young enough that projects don't hold her attention too long and she still needs a lot of help with them. Little Dude will sit and color or paint for hours. I have pages and pages of colored pictures all over the house. This might be the year I teach him to knit. 
  8. Work on the house. Need I say more. We have to sit and prioritize the to-do list and then get started. I'm starting to organize my ideas by room and I think it's time to start getting some actually design ideas down on paper.
  9. Organize the photos. I've already started working on this project. I've started shifting all the photos to the server and separating them into folders by year and then month. I'm stumped on a system of renaming the actual photos. If anyone has suggestions, please share. I've started organizing my painting portfolio photos as well. It's a daunting project but it needs to be done. The next big step will be scanning in all the old photos.
  10. More dates with my husband...without kids. We've had a few of these the last several months and are attempting to make this a regular thing. Now that the kids are getting bigger and able to amuse themselves it's time to focus back on our relationship. 
I'm sure there's a bunch of other things but this is a fairly decent overview of my goals. I like the Knitmore Girls idea of having a theme for the year as opposed to specific resolutions. I'm not quite sure what my theme for this year would be, but I'll keep you updated. 

No comments: