Monday, January 07, 2013

Going forward....

Now that the weekend is here I have a moment. Jumping back into work full throttle without my meds that control the spasticity completely kicked my arse the last few days. I didn't realize how little I thought of the opera until I walked back into the shop and was reminded of what I was working on. It took a few hours to figure out where I had left off and see what was left to finish. But I've got more meds (yea!) and the opera is on track to be done (not soon enough), now it's time to look at all my crafting projects.

I'm currently trying to an inventory of my works in progress. My plan for the year is to spend the first few months finishing up what I've already started. That includes knitting, crochet, sewing and 'other' crafting projects. Last year I reassessed and ended up frogging several pieces. I couldn't believe how wonderful that felt. Sometimes you just have to accept that something isn't working and move on. Some of the projects I will resurrect and others are gone forever. One project, my red vest, I had started pre-babies, and it didn't work on what my body has become. And now that I am done having babies....(yes. done and done. The household can't handle anymore destructive cuteness) I can start knitting and sewing for my own body once again. When I'm not creating for the minions. Though Little Dude is on the cusp of learning how to knit, and my husband *gasp* even began to learn some crochet to help with the holiday gifting.

So this is where the work in progress list stands:
(though I must admit I like the label of Jasmin of the Knitmore Girls- PHD's Project's Half Done. It sounds so distinguished. Much better than the old label of PIGS- Projects In Grocery Sacks. I most often use WIP or the occasional UFO - UnFinished Object)

 Knitting:


    • Hulk Smash socks- Double Heelix socks out of Skinny Bugga. First sock nearly done



    • Batgirl Tunic- Anouk out of Cotton Classic. Back is almost done  





    • Second Pillow- Made a pillow for my stepmother out of yarn recycled from her father's sweater. She loved it and I have enough yarn left over to make a second.



    • Tilted Duster- now this is pretty much complete and I've worn it. All it lacks is the fabulous buttons I had picked out for it and promptly lost. Well, now they are found and want attaching.


    Crochet:
    • Double thick potholders- These were a Christmas gift for my Dad. Completed one and ran out of yarn while frantically crocheting on Christmas Eve. I had a friend pick up some more yarn for my while at the After Christmas sale at Webs. Dad has a very, very old set of these made by one of my Grandmothers out of 70's nasty acrylic...mainly because I think they were made in the 70's. They need to die, but he loves them. His new ones are made out of Cascade 220 superwash. I went with wool because of the fact that it is self extinguishing. 

    Sewing/Quilting:
    • Boy Scout T-shirt quilt-This project has been such a struggle. But I am at the quilting phase of it. I probably would have had it done if I didn't have a show to design.




    Mending:
    • Lots of things in the mending pile- several shirts including my son's favorite T-rex shirt, a few purse straps that need fixing, reattaching some velcro to a bib, repairing stitching on some cloth diapers, and several holey work shirts. I just need to sit down one day and hit the pile.
    Other:
    • Key chain boondoggle- remember these things from camp made out of plastic lacing. I made one of these for my Mom eons ago. It was probably about 10" long and she loved it because she could easily get her keys when they fall to the bottom of her immense purse. It died many, many years ago. I started a new one a few years ago. I bought two spools and started the cord halfway down each spool. I plan on making it as long as the lacing will last. The length was making it slightly cumbersome until I dug out some bobbins. Now I just need to sit and do it.
    So that's what I've found in progress around my house. There's a few false starts  that could be included but I'll add those to the later list. The next few weeks my focus will be on finishing my set design, (oh by the way, I'm designing a show this semester) but once those plans are turned in, January and February are dedicated to wiping out this list.

    No comments: