Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

Ten Things I Like About Where I Live

  1. I'm in the Northeast. It's where I'm from, and where I belong. I don't know if the mindset in any other part of the country suits me quite so well.
  2. I'm two hours from Boston and two hours from NYC...and I don't visit either as much as I would like.
  3. The seasons. There is nothing quite like a New England fall. I don't know if I could live somewhere that lacks the cycles of the seasons. As much as I'm not into the snow and cold, Christmas just isn't Christmas without it.
  4. My neighborhood is filled with trees. It may suck when it's time to rake but I wouldn't have it any other way.
  5. Our house is conveniently located to major highways, but tucked back in a neighborhood where it is safe for the kids to ride their bikes in the streets.
  6. This area is steeped in history. Everywhere you go are wonderful ancient cemeteries to explore, famous old houses to tour and so much more. Some of our nation's history began around here and I just love that.
  7. Park, farms, green spaces. For being one of the original states and a small state at that, we have surprisingly large amounts of green space. I love how there are small working farms tucked in here and there. We have plenty of parks to explore to keep one grounded in this crazy technological age.
  8. Diversity. There is so much of it around here. I feel good raising my son here, knowing he will be exposed to people from many different places and all walks of life. And that provides us with a wide range of culinary delights in both markets and restaurants.
  9. The Arts. We have theatres all around us. You will find museums of all kinds if you drive in just about any direction. And we have a government and community that strongly supports the arts.
  10. It's home. I've lived here for nearly 10 years. I bought a house and started a family here. Obviously there's something that keeps me here, even if I can't describe it.

No comments: