Monday, September 10, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

I know what you all are thinking...Holy crap, a post!

 No, this doesn't mean I have my laptop back. It just means I can't sleep and I beat my husband to the desktop tonight. The motherboard on my laptop is currently out for repair and the lack of news is making me nervous. I'm so frustrated by the whole situation. I was just getting into the swing of blogging again and in the planning stage of several projects when it all was torn away from me. Surfing from a Kindle Fire just isn't the same...especially when you share the Kindle with someone else. Plus it wouldn't let me post from there. And there has been so much to write about this summer. I hope to be back into the swing of things soon.
Besides, I'm not sure how much more I can take having to used the shared Mac at work.

But to the topic at hand...Ten on Tuesday. And today's ten...(or rather tomorrow since I'm writing this the night before) 10 Favorite Sunday Dinners.

I grew up with the tradition of Sunday dinner at my Italian Grandmother's house. We ate in the basement because the upstairs was saved for special occasions...because you never know when the Pope might stop by. But those dinners hold some of my fondest memories of childhood. Now all of these meals weren't from those days but they still remind me of them

  1. Pasta- With homemade sauce and meatballs. Jarred sauce is unheard of in my family. My Grandmother would always quiz me on who made the best meatballs and I always told her that she did. Oh and garlic bread. Don't forget the garlic bread with lots of butter...I think this is when my love affair with garlic started. 
  2.  Pot roast- I love me some pot roast. Made with the McCormick cooking bag, though I do use the crock pot one now. With carrots and potatoes and onions (but I wouldn't eat those) and the au jus. Mmmmm....just thinking of it makes my mouth water. 
  3. Meatloaf- with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, and more gravy. Whether you use ground beef, ground turkey, or a meatloaf mix of various meats, it doesn't matter. Just good warm comfort food. 
  4. Traditional Turkey dinner- You know the one. My Grandmother made the best turkey gravy (notice a trend here?) ever. After dinner and dessert were done, and everyone was sitting around with their coffee and chatting, I would grab a bowl of gravy and some fresh bread from the bakery across the street and dip and eat. 
  5. Shrimp scampi- my Dad's. Hands down, best ever. 
  6. Lemon Pepper Chicken- this was my Mom's specialty when we were growing up. The best part was the seasoned skin. I remember once swiping all the skin off the left over pieces before they were put away. That good.
  7.  Braciola- my Grandmother's. Divine and what I wouldn't do to know how she did it.
  8. Lasagne- a pain in the butt to make but so worth it. As a child I wouldn't eat it because I had an issue with ricotta cheese. (a bad jug of milk turned me off of any lumpy cheese product for years). 
  9. Soups/Stews- all kinds. Soup and bread is probably my favorite meal. I could eat soup every day.
  10. A meal that we often do, it was a staple pre-kids on grocery shopping days, consisting of fresh bread, fruit, cheese, dried meat, olive oil and spices with some other additions depending on what we had on hand, including, but not limited to steamed musselss or clams, tomatoes, peppers, soups and such.
Well there you go. Now I'm gonna go raid the fridge. 

2 comments:

dianne said...

Yummy list! Sounds like your grandmother was/is a wonderful cook!

KnittingKittens said...

My mouth is watering! Those are some of my faves too especially the pot roast that my Grandfather used to make and the meatloaf-mmmm!
KnittingKittens