Friday, September 21, 2012

Favorite Things Friday

I'm starting a new segment. I've decided to make Friday the day that I talk about my favorite things...movies, products, food. Anything. If it's something I like, this is the day you'll hear about it.

Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the premiere of Firefly. And by premiere I mean FOX showed the second episode for the first time instead of airing the pilot. We watched Firefly during it's initial run and the reruns. I was heartbroken and thoroughly enraged when FOX cancelled it. Then Joss Whedon made the movie Serenity and further broke my heart. (Guns don't kill people. Joss Whedon kills people)

Firefly is in competition with Babylon 5 for my favorite Sci-fi series.  A delightful mix of space and Old West, full of wit and humor. This show has some of my favorite female characters in sci-fi. You've got 4 great women in the crew of the ship. The second in command is a woman of color, which is a rare thing in sci-fi. And Zoe is no throw away token character. The women are real people and sexual beings at that, without being stuck in the usual tropes.

Every time I watch it, I mourn for the stories we are never told. In a flashback we see when Zoe and Wash and her response is "I don't like him." I want to see how they went from that to being a married couple that are just so into each other. There's so much more to Shepherd Book. And I'd never say no to more Jayne. I love Jayne.

I could go on for hours but I must depart for the doctor's. Therefore I will leave you with the opening credits. Find the show, watch it, and see if you don't fall in love.


No comments: