Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Punk Rock Gift Exchange Questionaire

Here it is ...in all its freakish glory.

1) How long have you been spinning/Knitting/Crocheting?
I learned to knit when I was about 9 or so. I did it on and off but didn't get hardcore until about 2000. I taught myself to crochet about that time as well. I've only been spinning on a drop spindle since last Rhinebeck.

2) Do you consider yourself a beginner, novice, or experienced Yarn Artist?
Knitting- advanced novice. Spinning-beginner.

3) What type of fibers have you worked with?
A fair variety. Lots of novelty, I'm getting hooked into more natural fibers (read: I am becoming a fiber snob).

4) What types are you dying to try?
I am a total silk whore. I guess some of the more expesive and finer materials...cashmere and such.

5) Are you allergic to anything, (Fibers, Food, Smells that make you want to puke, etc.)?
Really strong perfumes...especially the old lady rose scent. You know the one I mean. The one they douse themselves in to mask the formaldehyde smell.

6) Do you have any Disorders, ex: Diabetes?
My husband seems to think my hoarding of books, yarn, fabric and tools a disorder, but i'm not so sure. oh...and depression.

7) What is your Favorite Time/Style period, ex: Romatic, Grecian,Metal, Goth,etc?
I have to narrow it down??!!?? Medieval, Renaissance, 50's retro, some Romantic, Victorian, Civil War era....I like a lot. Actually if I could wear a costume everyday, I would. I love period fashions from most periods. Especially if they involve corsets.

8) What fibers do you dislike?
Things that feel yucky or itchy. I like a soft and and nice drape.

9) Name some of your favorite Artist, Movie wise, Television if you watch it ex: I heart Keanu, some things cant be helped, and Rachel loves Mike Ness !?
Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Joaquin Phoenix, Maura Tierney, Geoffrey Rush, and many more.
The tv shows I HAVE to watch are Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Desperate Housewives, and The Simpsons.

10) Whos your favorite Character ex: Jack or Cpt Jack?
Captain Jack, Batman, Wonderwoman, Catwoman, Tinkerbell, Tigger, Cheshire Cat to name a few.

11) Do you prefer natural colored fibers, or handpainted/dyed fiber?
Both, it really depends on my mood and the colorways of the fiber.

12) What are you favorite colors?
Black, Purple and Red.I like rich jewel tones, or deep earthy tones.

13) What colors do you dislike?
Not too keen on yellow or pink. But the pink has been creeping in bit by bit. I am rather against most pastels.

14) What projects are you currently working on?
The do over of the shawl (see below), baby gifts and about to start a sweater for myself.

15) Do you have a wishlist?
several...should I be more specific?

16) Do you have any other favorite hobbies?
Reading, Cooking/baking, Movies, Sewing, Cross-stitch, Art, and playing the MYST games.

17) When your birthday?
Janurary 8th, the same as David Bowie, Steven Hawkins and Elvis

18) What is your favorite food, candy, scents that you love!! Etc.?
Scents:I love lavender and vanilla, and Drakkar
Foodstuffs: chocolate covered expresso beans, jasmine tea.


19) Are you pierced at all? Any tattoos? Can you/would you wear jewelry that isn't real?
Use to have belly ring, would like to get it done again. No tatoos, yet. Sometimes non-real jewelry bothers my ears but otherwise ok.

20) What do you like Culturally, ex: Celtic, African, Devil Worshiping, Kidding!?
Celtic, Ancient Egyptian

21) What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
An old fashioned Mason jar...the ones with the wire and the glass lid (though I don't use the lid, obviously) My circs are a set of interchangeable and they live in their case. The dpns and hooks have a roll but they keep poking holes in the bottom. Tools (stitch markers, scissors etc) have a crappy too small case that is going to die sometime soon.

22) What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I can play mp3s. I like Greenday(I have the biggest crush on Billie Joe), NIN, Rob Zombie, System of a Down...Love the 'modern rock' of the 90's when I was in college. I often paint to Pink Floyd and Korn. I also love opera (Verdi and Mozart) as well as classical and baroque. Medieval Babes are high on my list as well as Loreena Mc Kinnet. As you can see its rather eclectic.

23) What's your favorite season and why?
Autumn...the smell, the feel in the air, the crunching sound of walking through leaves, apples galore, and of course Halloween.

24) What season do you abhor?
The season I like to call "oh my god its STILL winter!!" basically the time when snow has lost its charm and I want to see green but all that remain is slush as far as the eye can see!

25) How about Sports, any that you just cant get enough of or do they make you throw up in your mouth just a little?
Hate them except for hockey. Don't have a team I just like to watch it, but my love limits that because I yell too much. (and lack of cable tv)

26) What is your family situation Do you live alone?
I am very happily married to a hottie and we have two cats and no children. We are attempting to work on that last part.

27) Do you have any pets?
Two psychotic cats, Isis and Loki.

28) Do you like handmade gifts?
Yes if they aren't tacky.

29) What's your favorite thing to make, knit/crochet or other craft wise?
Can't say I have a favorite. I switch depending on the mood. I am getting into socks.

30) Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I like dpns for socks. I'm slowly shifting over to circs for other things.

31) Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yep, both.

32) Tell us how you learned to knit/crochet?
My grandmother first taught me the basics(knit, purl, cast on, bind off) when I was about 9 or so. I retaught myself in college. It didn't become a passion until 2000 or so. I really took off when I had an internet connection and found a knitting forum. It really encouraged me and gave me a resource for new techniques.

33) Do you enjoy getting helpful hints from others or does it just piss you off?
As long as it is delivered in a non-condescending way, I don't mind at all. We all have different strengths and should share our knowledge. How else can we learn and grow?

34) How old is your oldest UFO?
a year or so. I went through a period where I finished all of the PIGS (projects in grocery sacks) before I would let myself do something new.

35) Is there anything that you collect?
Books, tea pots and cups, absinthe spoons, patterns from Folkwear and I am starting one of paperdolls...ones with the period costumes and movie ones (gone with the wind, Elizabeth Taylor with costumes from some of her more famous movies), and witchy stuff...I have a new fascination with the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz.

36) Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I've a new fetish for Silky Wool, Debbie Bliss Baby Knits, Vogue Stitchionary I, II, & III, and my ultimate quest lately has been for a silk or silk blend DK yarn in a deep blood crimson color....for a very long scarf.

37) What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have if any?
I don't subscribe but I ususally pick up Interweave Knits and Vogue knitting if there are enough patterns that interest me.

38) Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to do more color work (fair isle and intarsia) and just about everything in spinning and dyeing.

39) Do you enjoy knitting socks? How big are yer boats (feet)?
yes and freakishly small....size 6.5/7.

40) When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
Didn't you ask this already??? 01/08

1 comment:

metal and knit said...

I am finding it funny to read everyones foot size no one is as small as me though