Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Ten on Tuesday

Today's ten is an interesting one...10 Things You Miss From Your Childhood. Having a 4 year old and a (nearly) 2 year old, I get to indulge in many of the pleasures of my childhood once again. My husband and I seek out and introduce many of the things we enjoyed as kids to share with our minions. Some they aren't ready for yet but are on the to do list. Though I urge everyone to indulge as well, even if you don't have children.

  1. A fresh box of crayons- is there anything more beautiful then a brand new box of crayons. The neat rows of perfect tips in a rainbow of colors waiting to become anything and everything. I confess that I have a box of 96 that I have tucked away for all my own. 
  2. Singing. Out loud. Everywhere- and not caring a damn if I was any good or not. Singing just for the joy of singing without an ounce of self-consciousness. I miss how good that use to feel. My son will spend days at a time narrating everything in song. I hope he never loses that.
  3. Sunday dinners at my Grandmother's house- Every Sunday after church (when we did church) that is where we would be. On 'Special Occasions' we would eat upstairs but mostly we were in the basement. Of course if you listened to my mother we always ate upstairs if my uncle came because "Ma loves (him) best". Pasta was always on the menu. Only homemade sauce. Sometimes roast beef or chicken or even ribs. Plenty of bread and butter. And Soda...ah that was a treat. And either my mother or myself would knock over a glass....clumsiness is genetic.
  4. Walking to the bakery across the street from Grandma's- Hand in hand with Sunday dinner was the bread and dessert of donuts and cookies from the Italian bakery across the street from my Grandparent's house. I always loved walking over with my Grandfather to pick up the fresh goodies and getting to pick what donuts and cookies I specifically wanted. (Peanut donut being my favorite). It's a restaurant now that is probably just as often frequented by the family. They actually keep an eye out on my Grandfather for us and keep my Mom informed on him. I have to say we were very spoiled by having a fabulous bakery so close and I often bemoan the lack of one my neighborhood.
  5. Dancing around the living room like an maniac- I'm happy to say my son takes after me in this and my daughter is showing signs of following suit. My lack of balance and the death trap of toys that the minions leave all over prevent this from happening now. *sigh* I really need to go dancing. 
  6. Good cartoons- The cartoons today suck. Especially if you don't have cable. I grew up watching Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, He-man, She-ra-Princess of Power, GI Joe, Transformers and such. The only cartoon I'll let my kids watch that isn't on PBS is Busy Town Mysteries. Actually my son LOVES Scooby Doo. He's ripe for He-man and She-ra. heheheheh May the influencing begin.
  7. Staying up late to watch a special show- When I was really little it was The Muppet Show. I remember being allowed to stay up and watch The Carol Burnett Show. There was something about not having all your shows on demand and having to wait for them and schedule your time around them. Especially the holiday specials. 
  8. Camping- I loved camping. And we would do real camping. You know...with tents and sleeping on the ground and cooking on the fire and stuff. But there's something so wonderful about sitting around the fire and looking up and seeing so many stars. (now I'm getting itchy to go out into the woods....when it warms up)
  9. Playing dress up- personally I never really outgrew this. We just call it cosplay now. You have to consider I work in a business where people are actually paid to get dressed up and play pretend.
  10. Reading all day long- oh how I miss that. And on that note it's back to work (and listening to audiobooks)  ;)

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh, I loved getting to stay up for a special show!

Donna said...

I have to admit that I was much more of a singer when I was younger. I simply didn't care that I sounded horrible!