Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

I've nearly forgotten about these.

10 Ways to Have a Happy Birthday:
  1. My number one rule is that I wear a tiara on my birthday. Hey, it's your birthday. You should be Queen. This tradition started when I spent way too much on my wedding tiara, but it was the only gold tone one I could find. So I rationalized it by saying I'd wear it at every opportunity, and I do...only I have a collection of 7 or 8 by now. Even if I'm wearing respirator, ear protection, and goggles my tiara graces my head every birthday.
  2. Cake--a must. And the birthday girl/boy gets to choose the type. That's the rule in our house. Even if it means I'm making the pain-in-the-ass-to-make cheesecake that my husband loves and spraying myself and the kitchen with chocolate every year, so be it. He gets the cake he wants.
  3. Do something you wouldn't do on a normal day. Even a little something....just to make it special.
  4. Fill the day with people you like (and avoid the ones you don't) even if it means taking the day off from work.
  5. Calories don't count on your birthday.
  6. If possible, sleep in.
  7. Make the day about celebrating you, not some abstract number.
  8. Look at pictures of your childhood birthdays....this is always fun. Share them with family and friends and reminisce or just laugh at the clothing/hair styles.
  9. If you have your mom in you life, have her tell you about the day you were born. My mom finally wrote it down and sends me a revised document every year as she remembers more details.
  10. Indulge in something special just for you. Something you wouldn't normally buy. Hey, you survived another year. You've earned it!

1 comment:

Ms. Rachel said...

I like this especially as the next one is the big 4-0