Monday, August 09, 2010

Not an encouraging beginning

I had mentioned before that I was going to start the Eva raglan sweater. I've been swatching over the last several days and I'm not happy. It has nothing to do with the yarn or the gauge but the pattern.

The English version is full of confusion and inaccuracies. First off it wants you to swatch in M3 but never explains what the hell M3 is. Luckily my friend NutmegOwl, who is familiar with French patterns was able to explain. M is short for stitch. M3 would be the third stitch pattern given in the instructions. Excellent...then it took me a little while to find a needle size...whatever.

So I swatch and swatch...and learn to cable without a needle to make it easier... and something doesn't seem right. Well that would be that the damn chart is wrong. I've had it on this pattern. Luckily some Foliage I traded for arrived and I'll make some boot socks while I figure out what to do next. I'm not sure I want to continue with this pattern at all.

2 comments:

NutmegOwl said...

There are plenty more patterns in the world, my friend. The fun part is finding a NEW one!

Ms. Rachel said...

I want to make some socks. Can you recommend a reference that I could look at to figure it out? I'm going to need some new wooly socks for this winter. Thanks/