Here I am finally posting the pics. I believe I finished this on New Years day.
Here's the plied yarn on my swift. I don't have a niddy noddy (honey if you are reading this Hint HINT) so I used the swift and measured around. I ended up with about 93 yards.
Not a great close up but you get the idea.
Here are my weapons of dying...my crock pot, food dyes in straight red, red with a touch of black, and red with a touch of purple, and the instructions found here.
Here's the dye pour. I put on the cover and walked away and wrestled with the computer for several hours...
When its done it looks like this. I actually added dye several times to get a deeper red. It was still in the pot when my Love came home and asked if I knew there was yarn in the crock pot. *sigh* boys.
Here it is. My first hand spun. I'm very proud of it. There are a few wonky spots. I liked doing the singles on the drop spindle but the plying really killed my hands. I couldn't knit for a few days. This experience really is pushing me to seriously take steps to getting my own wheel. I'm addicted to the dying too. I keep thinking of color combinations. I may try some acid dyes but I'll do those in the shop at work.
So there it is...and tonight it will become something else.