Friday, August 24, 2007

The Bitter and the Sweet

Ok, I'll start with a few FO pics. First of all I did finish my knucks, but don't have pictures yet. It is quite impossible to get a good picture of gloves on your own hands. When I have my love at my disposal I'll get him to do it.
These are of the baby blanket I made for one of our contract workers at the store. She's due in September. We just found out the other day that their house burned to the ground this week. People, please check your dryers...make sure you have the proper duct work and clean out all the fuzzy crap. I don't want to hear about this happening to anyone else.

Specs are garter miter squares done in Sugar and Cream kitchen cotton (yellow) and random mystery kitchen cotton from stash (green).

On to the fabulous news. Friday, August 31st is my last day at my retail job!!! I got the job painting scenery for the University!!! I am so completely excited. The story of the job and the work I will be doing there will be followed more closely in my painting blog Footprints in the Sky.

Ok the sucky news: they had to put down my little brother's dog this week. He's taking it hard, but anyone would. She had lost a back toe nail to cancer about a year or so ago. This time it was in a front toe and her tail. After the surgery to have those amputated, she was unable to keep food down, and was partially paralyzed on one side. She had a small upswing last weekend but then went down hill this week. I'm not a dog person by any means but she was the best dog. Sweet and loving. I'll have to hunt around for a picture of her....

And for the worst news of all. I debated about writing this, but this blog is about me and the influence in my artistic life. I had hoped to have some uber-fabulous news for you all in about a month or so...but it's not to be. I had an ultrasound yesterday and it confirmed our worst fears. At 9 weeks into my pregnancy there was no heartbeat and I am beginning to miscarry. The baby made it to 6 weeks and stopped growing. Nothing we did, just a chromosomal issue and nature did what was best. I understand all that but it still sucks.
I'm having a D&C today. Which means I had to stop all eating and drinking at midnight. My surgery isn't until this afternoon. So mixed in with my grief is the fact that I am starving and thirsty as all hell.
We are dealing with it the best we can. I know I'll work through this with my art. Its how I do this. My mind keeps going to Freida Khalo's painting Henry Ford Hospital and that whole scene in the movie Freida. Not that I am comparing my pain to hers, but I know mine will show through my work.

So that's been my life in a nutshell. Some good some bad. Thanks for listening. I'll be ok, I promise. I'm not sure how much I will be blogging this weekend, it all depends on how I feel physically.

5 comments:

ShannonAnn said...

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Mouse said...

Oh hun.. I'm so sorry! you are in my thoughts and prayers..

Jenny said...

Aw, P, I'm so sorry. :'( I know how you feel, and I know it royally sucks. But you got the job, and that doesn't suck!

Rachel said...

Man that just stinks. I will be thinking of you this weekend and hope that you will feel better and I hope things will look up soon.

That is good about the job though!!

Karen said...

Oh I am so sorry!! I hope you are more confortable today and doing ok. Oh, you poor thing. Big hugs to you!

I was so happy to read about the job. I can't wait to hear about how you gave your notice. Good for you!